BHCG 2017 UnitedHealthcare results
The 2017 results for BHCG employers using UnitedHealthcare’s network were recently presented to BHCG member employers. Some of the highlights include:
- Employees and spouses of BHCG employers that are highly engaged with Premium providers have shown 11 percent lower spend when compared to adults with low utilization of Premium providers (after adjusting for high cost claimants and claim risk differences1).
- For 2017 it is estimated that BHCG’s self-funded member employers experienced a 3.8 percent per member per month increase in medical care costs compared to 2016.
- Over the past 12 years BHCG’s self-funded member employers have experienced an average annual increase in medical care costs of 1.7 percent per member per month when compared to 2005 base-year costs. Over this same 12-year time frame, costs in southeast Wisconsin have increased on average between five and 10 percent per year and the national trend is even higher.
BHCG’s informed decision making vendor Best Doctors reports 2017 results
Utilizing the world’s top physicians, the Best Doctors program offers consumers facing difficult medical decisions access to expert medical consultations (in addition to a range of other tools and resources) so they may have the confidence to make informed decisions about their care. In 2017, Best Doctors InterConsultations yielded a:
- 100 percent customer satisfaction rating
- Diagnosis change in 55 percent of the cases
- Treatment recommendation change in 78 percent of the cases
- Total realized cost savings of more than $670,000, resulting in an ROI of 1.14:1
Also in 2017, Best Doctors added to the suite of services available to BHCG member employers at significantly reduced rates including:
- Oncology Insight with Watson - combines expert medical review with cognitive technology to revolutionize oncology
- Medical Records eSummary - organization and digitization of all medical records and ongoing guidance
- Data Analytics - intervenes with employees with the greatest need using population data
- Global Benefits - InterConsultation, Critical Care Support and Ask the Expert services in over 100 countries
Best Doctors makes available to employers a variety of employee marketing materials, utilizing various media, to raise awareness of their services. These include:
- Digital Displays
- Best Doctors App
- Targeted Mailers
1 Dates of Service 1/1/2017-12/31/2017. Limited to subscribers and spouses only (Excludes dependents). Excludes Catastrophic Claimants >$100,000 in medical spend, Highly Engaged members have 75% or more of their Premium spend at Premium Tier 1 providers (Quality & Efficient). Low engagement is <75% of the Premium eligible spend. Savings is based on Covered spend (before member cost share) on a per member basis after adjusting for claim risk score